Hey, Ocean Lovers!
We hope you’re having a great Fourth of July Weekend. We’d like to make this a Sharky Fourth – before it’s too late – and make a special announcement:
July 19th will begin our Summer Sharktakular shark conservation and education week here on O4E.
But wait, the fun kicks off right NOW!
We are very excited to welcome shark scientist David “Why Sharks Matter” Shiffman of the blog Southern Fried Science (among other things) to our pages as our host for this amazing, fun, sharktastic week filled with all kinds of stuff you have just never heard before about sharks. We’ll be hearing from all kinds of cool shark people and we’re kicking it off with…a CONTEST!
That’s right, starting right now and ending July 12th, you can enter our Summer Sharktakular Photo Contest and win some awesome prizes.
The contest goes like this: you make a shark conservation poster with a message (example: “protect the sharks” is fine, but we want to see creativity and how much you have learned about how sharks REALLY matter). Then, take a photo of you with your poster and emal it to the fabulous David Shiffman (his email address is whysharksmatter [at] gmail [dot] com) by July 12th, 2010.
Here is all the important stuff, including the official rules and the PRIZES:
1) Make a sign or banner with a shark conservation message as exampled above. Nothing including racism or violence is allowed.
2) Take a photograph that includes you with your poster or banner. Have any background you like but get creative!
3) E-mail the photo to David (email listed above) before 5:00 p.m. eastern standard time on Monday, July 12. Your e-mail MUST include the information listed below in order to be eligible to win.
A) Your name (first name and last initial is acceptable if you have privacy concerns), hometown, and occupation (if student, please list your grade).
B) This sentence- “I give David Shiffman and Oceans 4Ever permission to display this photograph on Southern Fried Science, Oceans 4Ever and in possible future not-for-profit shark conservation initiatives”
C) A sentence or two about why you care about sharks and why they should be protected.
4) All photos will be displayed on Southern Fried Science. They will be voted on by a panel of judges that includes David, Cindy, myself and other ocean bloggers and famous shark-o-philes.
5) The winners will be announced on O4E on July 23 at noon eastern standard time.
Anyone (no age or location restrictions) is eligible to enter. Tell your friends!
OK, now here are the PRIZES you can win!
1st place will have a WildAid anti-finning billboard in China donated in their name (value- $100)
2nd place will win an Iemanya Oceanica Adopt-A-Shark packet (value- $50)
3rd place will win a Southern Fried Science “Sharks Matter” water bottle (value- $25)
Plus, I have a few prizes I have picked out especially for the Sharktakular, and I will surpise you with them during the week of July 19th, so stay tuned!
So enter now and start working on your poster! Good luck!
Tweet This Post